The buildings and facilities in Makronissos were located on the western part of the island. A contemporary visitor will encounter buildings and ruins of the six camps that operated autonomously under the supervision of a captain and cadre of officers. Outposts, barbed wire fences and walls surrounded each camp.
More specifically, these camps [from north to south] were named as follows:
- Disciplinary Camp for political exiles (1948-July1950)
- Second Sappers Battalion (Second Special Privates Battalion, B ETO) (1947-1953)
- Second Special Civilian Rehabilitation School (B ETO-ESAI) (1949-1950)
- Rehabilitation Camp for political exiles
- First Sappers Battalion (First Special Privates Battalion, A ETO) (1947-1953)
- First Special Civilian Rehabilitation School (A ETO-ESAI) (1949-1950)
- Special Women’s Rehabilitation School (ESAG)
- Officers Presentation Centre C (1947-1948)
- Makronissos Military Hospital (ΣΝΜ) (1949-1953)
- Third Sappers Battalion (Third Special Privates Battalion, C ETO) (1947-1953)
- Athens Military Prison (SFA) (1947-1950)
The topographic maps of Nikos Margaris offer a panorama of the Makronissos camps as they operated throughout time. Thanks to these sketches, it is possible today to reposition and reconstruct the locations of buildings and facilities.